Marlins to shut Jose Fernandez down at 170 innings
The Miami Marlins, a team no where near the playoff race, has decided to play it safe and shut their prized rookie Jose Fernandez down at about 170 innings pitched. The 20-year old has been very impressive, jumping from Single A ball to the majors and becoming an All-Star during that rookie season. So it’s no surprise the Marlins are trying to protect the kids arm.
The Marlins, who open the second half of their season Friday night in Milwaukee, have had their 2011 first round pick on an innings count all season. And despite the rookie’s first half success, they still plan on shutting him down early to protect his arm.
“What we said was 150 to 170 innings,” manager Mike Redmond said Thursday after his team got back together for the first time since the All-Star and held an afternoon practice at Marlins Park. “Obviously we’re going to push for closer to 170.” (Miami Herald)
Like I said earlier this kid has been very impressive as a rookie, especially for a 20-year old making the jump from Single A. His stats are just simply unbelievable. So far in 2013, Fernandez is 5-5 with a 2.75 ERA, 103 strikeouts and 40 walks over 104 and 2/3 innings pitched. Numbers any veteran would hope they could get.
The innings pitched are the reason for concern though. Fernandez has thrown just over 104 innings, last year he threw only 134 innings against much inferior competition. The good thing is the Marlins haven’t thrown him on a strict limit. If his starts keeping looking so effortless then I’m sure he’ll easily be near the teams 170 goal.
Normally, I hate pitch counts and innings limits but in the Marlins situation I can’t blame them. The other reason why this doesn’t bother me is because he’ll still be pitching around 170 innings, which is still relatively high and it’s not a strict limit.