Broncos release McGahee

by Paul Raymond | Posted on Thursday, June 13th, 2013

The Denver Broncos have released running back Willis McGahee just two days after the back said he still expects to be the teams starter on September 5th. The move really isn’t a surprise as the McGahee is coming off a broken leg AND a torn MCL AND has a price tag of $2.5 million for 2013. The Broncos also had seven running backs currently in camp, two of which were drafted in the past two drafts.

While McGahee may have made the comment about expecting to be the starter he did know the writing was on the wall. He admitted that the team has plenty of younger options and that he was definitely on the bubble.

Asked Tuesday where he would rank this year’s level of competition at running back, he said: “It’s always going to rank high to me because the other guys are younger. I’m always on the bubble,” McGahee said. “Not too much you can do. It’s a business. If something happens it happens.” (Denver Post)

To me this move was totally expected after reading about the teams first day of camp. McGahee had been medically cleared to fully practice but received minimal work with the first team. Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball received the bulk of those snaps.

If healthy McGahee is still healthy he could prove to be an asset for any team as he carried for 731 yards over ten games last season, and 1,199 yards over 15 games in 2011. He’s probably wishing this move happened last week before Ahmad Bradshaw signed with the Indianapolis Colts.

I’m thinking he’ll now have to wait for training camp and the injury bug to take its toll. McGahee joins Cedric Benson, Brandon Jacobs and Michael Turner as power backs that are still on the market.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>



  • Twitter Updates